Joint International ICTP/SISSA PhD Programme in Physics and Mathematics
Students who have completed ICTP's Postgraduate Diploma Programme now have the chance to continue their studies in Trieste to earn a PhD. ICTP and the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA) offer the opportunity for carrying out PhD studies in the following fields:
- Applied Mathematics, Mathematical Analysis, Geometry, Mathematical Physics
- Astroparticle Physics, Astrophysics
- Elementary Particles
- Physics and Chemistry of Biological Systems
- Statistical Physics
- Theory and Numerical Simulation of the Condensed Matter
Applicants must have an "ICTP Postgraduate Diploma" or be
enrolled in the last year of the "ICTP Postgraduate Diploma
Programme". All admitted candidates must hold the "ICTP
Postgraduate Diploma" by the starting date of the PhD
Admitted candidates must pass a qualifying examination within the first year of study. At the end of the three-year PhD course, successful students will be awarded a SISSA PhD degree and issued with a certificate stating the participation in the Joint International ICTP/SISSA programme (JIISP Certificate).
Fellowship and other benefits
- Admitted candidates will be awarded a yearly fellowship for the entire duration of the course (3 years extendable to a fourth, subject to availability of funds and approval by ICTP/SISSA governing bodies)
- A monthly contribution towards rental expenses
- A contribution towards health insurance
- A contribution (70% of the amount of the fellowship) may be awarded to students who might be forced to suspend their studies due to illness, maternity or other serious reasons up to 5 months
The selection will be based on academic and scientific qualifications as well as on letters of reference and an interview. The date of the interview will be announced to the candidates shortlisted on the basis of their qualifications.
The application form must be filled in and sent (see link below), together with the following documents:
- curriculum vitae;
- a certificate of examinations (with marks) taken in the "ICTP Postgraduate Diploma Programme";
- a final "ICTP Degree" (if already obtained);
- a copy of the diploma thesis or draft (if any);
- at least 2 recommendation letters;
- any further information which the candidate may consider useful.
Full details and application forms are available here.