Joint Laurea Magistralis in Physics
ICTP cooperates with the University of Trieste's Faculty of Sciences in providing physics education to graduate students from developing countries. The international study programme for the "Laurea Magistralis Interateneo" (Universities of Trieste and Udine) in physics, includes curricula in:
- microphysics and condensed matter physics, which offers the
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Nuclear and Subnuclear Physics
- theoretical physics
- astrophysics and cosmology, earth and environmental physics, which offers the following specialisations:
- Astrophysics and Cosmology
- Terrestrial and Environmental Physics
The Laurea Magistralis degree can be compared to an advanced masters in physics or in astrophysics in the Anglo-Saxon system or to the last two years of the New European Educational System as fixed by the Bologna-Sorbonne agreement.
I. Purpose of the Programme
The Programme covers two academic years and is designed to provide young promising students in physics from developing countries with graduate training suitable for pursuing teaching and research in physics.
II. The Courses
A short description of the different curricula of the "Laurea Magistralis Interateneo" may be found following the link below.
Courses are held in English and each of them is followed by an examination. After having passed all exams, participants prepare and defend a dissertation. After successful completion of the entire study plan the students will obtain the "Laurea Magistralis" from the University of Trieste.
III. Qualifications and Scholarships
- The Programme is open to young, qualified graduates from all countries that are members of the United Nations, UNESCO or IAEA.
- The minimum qualification for applicants is a degree equivalent to a M.Sc. (or an exceptionally good B.Sc.) in physics. The selection of candidates will be based on their university records and academic recommendations.
- Fluency in both spoken and written English is required.
- In 2013 a limited number of scholarships will be awarded to students from developing countries. Each scholarship consists of 850 Euro/month, travel grant, insurance and tuition fees.
Applicants should fax, e-mail or post the following documents:
- The application form in either rtf format or PDF format completed in dark legible print, whether handwritten or typed. All sections of the form MUST be completed.
- A transcript of academic records and a copy of the highest university degree, with authorized English translations of the same and certified by the candidate's local authorities.
- Certificates or documents, certifying the student's ability in English.
Furthermore, each applicant should have two letters of recommendation, from senior scientists familiar with his/her work, sent directly to ICTP in separate sealed envelopes. The recommendation forms are included in the application form (see above).
The application, recommendation letters and supporting documentation should be addressed to:
ICTP TRIL Programme
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Strada Costiera 11,
34151 TRIESTE (Italy)
Fax: +39 040 2240558
Please check this webpage for the 2014 deadline. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all the documents are sent to ICTP by this date. ICTP will not assume the responsibility of informing the applicant about erroneous or missing documentation. Incomplete applications will not be considered.